Corfu Island Spianada Square
Sightseeing attractions in the city and the island of Corfu
The huge square opposite the Old Fortress is one valuable remaining left by the French occupation in Corfu. This is one of the bigger squares in Greece, center of the social life of Corfu. Here take place all the important events, the parades and various customs. Anyone who has not witnessed the Easter festivities in Corfu should do it at least once in his life.
The square is surrounded by beautiful buildings like Liston, built by the French engineer Lesseps (his son opened the Canal of Suez) during the French occupancy and the Palace of Michael and George. A big space of the square is occupied by the green field of cricket. The attachment of people of Corfu to cricket comes from the period of the British occupancy (1814-1864).
In Spianada Square you can also watch: the Peristyle of Mightland at its southern end. This is a circular monument with Ionic columns built in honor of the first British Commissioner Thomas Mightland (1816-1824). The Peristyle is a masterpiece of the British Military Engineer G.Whitemore, who also designed the Palace of Michael and George using stone from Malta.
In the square of the Union with the kiosk is celebrated the service of the Easter Resurrection and use to be given concerts by the bands while just below of it there is the Monument of the Union of the Ionian Islands dedicated to the attachment of the Ionian islands to the Greek Estate in 1864.
In the square in front of the bridge leading to the Old Fortress, there are the statues of Soulenbourg and Guilford. The marble statue of the German Marshal Soulenbourg (Mathias von der Schulenburg) is the work of the sculptor Corradini and it was dedicated to his honor. The second statue honors the philhellene Lord of Guilford, (Frederick North 1766-1827) who re-established the Ionian Academy during the period of the Residency of Adams which was an important cultural institution of the city that for the first time introduced the Greek language and operated till 1864 when the Ionian islands were attached to the Greek estate.
In front of the Doric Peristyle of the Palace of Michael and George and the bronze statue of the Lord Frederick Adams, one of the most famous British Commissioners especially for the major engineer works which were done for the city, such as the aqueduct.